AMU MATH 120 Intro to statistics WEEK 1 lesson DATA CLASSIFICATION AND DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICS American Military University
- WEEK 1: DATA CLASSIFICATION AND DESCRIPTIVE STATISTICs
In this lesson we will be studying an overview of statistics, data classification, frequency distributions and their graphs along with more graphs.
Students will be able to:
- Define Statistics
- Distinguish between population parameters and sample statistics
- Explain the difference between differential statistics and inferential statistics
- Classify data by type and level of measurements
- Apply sampling techniques based on experimental design
- Construct tables, graphs, and charts of qualitative and quantitative data
In this lesson, we will discuss: Getting to know each other
Key Learning Concept
- Explain the use and misuse of statistical concepts.
- Compute measures of central tendency and measures of dispersion to summarize data collected from real world scenarios.
The following activities and assessments need to be completed this week:
- Reading: Basic Understanding Statistics — Chapters 1 and 2
- Introduction Forum — Introduce Yourself
- APUS Honor Code and Pledge — Assignment Section
- Homework 1 in WebAssign
Required Readings: Read Chapters 1 and 2 in Understanding Basic Statistics. This will give you an overview of statistics, data classification and collection, frequency distributions and graphs.
These are some important things to note:
- Data Classification
- Data Collection including Random Numbers
- Frequency Distributions
This reading corresponds to the following course objectives:
- Apply fundamental statistical concepts across a variety of disciplines.
- Apply descriptive statistics techniques to explain data collected from real world scenarios.
Welcome to Math 120 Week 1. In the lessons, we will learn how to use excel to calculate and display data. Be sure to view the announcements each week for more information.
This week we will cover some basic formulas which will primarily be used in Week 2. First open an excel spreadsheet. Type in these 20 values in cells a1 to a20. In a1, type 20, in a2 type 21, then type 24, 21, 30, 40, 41, 52, 18, 20, 20, 20, 21, 21, 34, 36, 38, 40, 41, and 42.
Then in B1, type mean.
In B2, type mode.
In B3, type median.
In B4, type midrange.
In B5, type range.
In B6, type sample standard deviation.
In B7, type population standard deviation.
In B8, type sample variance.
In B9, type population variance.
In E1, type =average(a1:a20)
In E2, type =mode(a1:a20)
In E3, type =median(a1:a20)
In E4, type =(52+18)/2 which is the average of the smallest and largest number.
In E5, type = (52-18) which is the difference of the largest and the smallest number.
In E6, type =stdev.s(a1:a20)
In E7, type =stdev.p(a1:a20)
In E8, type =var.s(a1:a20)
In E9, type =var.p(a1:a20)
Now let’s say you need another page, click on the +. You can also, you can also copy and paste the 20 values in page 2.
Thank you and be sure to view the lessons each week.