Tagged: forum posts
- 02/13/2019 at 5:31 am #2529
Assistance for ENGL 110 AMU week 4 forum Position Paper Structure and Outline Making Writing Relevant American Military university is available at Domyclass
Forum Objective: Create an outline for your Week 5 Position paper and discuss the ethos, logos and pathos of your Position paper in the conclusion paragraph.
In week 5, you will be submitting a position paper. This week, create and post your outline, concept map, or other visual representation for that essay for your initial post. Choose a debatable topic from your field of study for your Week 5 Position Paper. If you have not yet decided on a major, you can find debatable topics at any debate website. Just google ‘debate websites’ to find a suitable debate website from which to choose a topic for your Position Paper. If you find a topic from your field of study, you can learn more about the hot debates from your field of study. Your topic must be a topic on which the reader can agree or disagree.
*** Since you are all majoring in different fields of study, some of you may be using APA, some of you may be using Chicago Turabian or some of you may be using MLA for your citations, please tell me in your post which notation style you are using.***
Initial Post instructions:
Include your THESIS STATEMENT, TOPIC SENTENCES, and SUPPORT for each topic sentence. Note that in the assignment description for this essay, Take a stand on an issue in your field of study. Include two (2) resources that you plan to use and WHY you plan to use them. Take a look at this 5 paragraph essay Persuasive essay flowchart.
Example debatable thesis: Global Warming is a hoax because Reason1, Reason 2 and Reason 3.
Paragraph 2: Reason 1
Paragraph 3: Reason 2
Paragraph 4: Reason 3
Paragraph 5: Conclusion (Discuss how you used ethos (appeal to credibility), pathos, (appeal to emotion) and logos (appeal to logic) in your essay) Answer the question in 5 to 7 sentences: How did you use ethos, pathos and logos in your position paper?
Example thesis: Smoking causes lung cancer, throat cancer and stomach cancer.
Para 2: Smoking causes lung cancer.
Para 3: Smoking causes throat cancer.
Para 4: Smoking causes stomach cancer.
Para 5: Conclusion (How does this argument use ethos, pathos and logos?)
For student replies: When responding to your peers’ outlines, consider their argument. What questions do you have after seeing their outline? Pose questions to help your peers strengthen their position. Consider this a brief introduction to the peer review process as you consider the effectiveness of the support that your peers are using. Did your classmates use ethos, pathos and logos in their essay? Did your classmates have a strong thesis statement? Do the other student essays have one central idea with strong supporting sentences?
Make your initial posts to the Forum by 11:55pm ET, Thursday.
During the week, read the messages posted by your instructor and classmates and join the discussion. Your instructor may ask questions, provide explanations, and include links to other resources.
Please respond to at least 2 classmates, and in your response posts, try to bring together pieces of the discussion and take those ideas further.
Week 4 Forum Checklist
In this forum, you will write an outline for your Week 5 Position paper. In this paper, you will take a stand or take a position on a topic relevant to your discipline.
Example topic relevant to my field which is teaching:
Bilingual education helps students learn English faster than English only classrooms because Reason1, Reason 2 and Reason 3.—Thesis statement—main idea of your essay.
Para 2: Reason 1
Para 3: Reason 2
Para 4: Reason 3
Para 5: Conclusion
Week 5 Position Paper Checklist
- Is your thesis statement the last sentence of the first paragraph?
- Does your paper have one central idea?
- Do your body paragraph support your thesis?
- Do you have correct grammar/mechanics/spelling?
- Did you respond to other students and peer review their papers?
- Do you have a conclusion paragraph?
- Do you have at least 2 sources for your paper?
- Do you have a Works Cited/References page?
Call on the rubric (linked in the Forum) to ensure you are meeting participation expectations. Please make sure you do the following:
- Make an initial post that fully addresses the prompt or task.
- Respond to the initial postings of at least two (2) other students.
- Post your initial post no later than 11:55 PM Thursday
- Manage your personal discussion thread by responding to questions and comments
- Ask questions of each other.
- Return frequently to extend the dialogue.
- Be sure to answer questions your instructor presents to you.
- Expect your instructor to pose questions about the reading material, lesson material, and your experience.
- Demonstrate your knowledge and comprehension of the material.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.