Tagged: forum posts
- 06/23/2019 at 5:00 am #3464Domyclass Help
INFO 331 AMU week 1 forum Introduction & Information Systems Concepts Management Information systems American Military University
Class, I appreciate your participation in this discussion! For this assignment, it is recommended that you post your original post addressing the topics below (minimum of 250 words) as early in the week as possible, in order to receive feedback on your post. Continue to follow your classmates’ posts for the remainder of the week and post at least two follow up messages (minimum of 150 words each) to your classmates’ posts prior to
11:55 PM ET on Sunday. Your follow up posts can add additional insight to a classmate’s opinions or can challenge their opinions. Use examples from the readings, or from your own research, to support your views, as appropriate. Be sure to read the follow up posts to your own posts and reply to any questions or requests for clarification. By the way, include the name of the person’s post you are replying to. Thanks!
Questions: (Make sure you answer all 6 questions in your initial post!)
1) Briefly introduce yourself. You may do something a little different from the common old boring introduction. Please introduce yourself using 8 nouns to best describe yourself. (see my introduction for an example). Give it a try you will be amazed at yourself.
OR You may do the old introduction you are familiar, you really should give the noun introduction a try, challenge yourself.
2) In this course, we will be exploring information systems. Before answering these questions, spend some time researching on the Internet about what an information system is. Then answer these questions in your own words. What is an information system? What are some of the characteristics of information systems? Make sure you explain your answers to these questions in your own words, rather than quoting from the textbook or other online sources.
3) Find a web page that gives a definition of an application, and a web page that gives a definition of a computer based information system. Summarize the definitions that you found on the web in your own words. I do not want you to quote directly from your sources, but to describe the concepts you learned in your own words. Then, in your own words, drawing on what you learned from your sources and from your textbook, describe the differences between applications and computer based information systems. Be sure to include the URLs of the web pages you used in your research to answer this question.
Before answering questions 4 6 below, please read the following: for your Analysis Essays this semester, you will be applying what you learn about Management Information Systems to an Information System (IS) of your choice. This should be a system which you interact with regularly. Many students choose a unique information system related to their work. If you do not work with any information systems, you may choose an information system that you use in your personal life, such as a web based information system that you use online. Since you will be sharing your analysis of your system on the discussion board throughout the semester, it is important that each student choose a different information system.
Please note that the following are considered applications, rather than information systems, and are not suitable for the term paper: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft
PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office (which is a suite of applications, rather than an information system), and Microsoft SharePoint (which is a networked tool for collaboration and document sharing, and which lacks the processing and transformation power and the complexity to be considered an information system).
To make sure you are correctly understanding what kinds of systems qualify as an information system for this assignment, please refer to the Analysis Essay FAQ in the discussion forum for some examples of information systems that former students have chosen to analyze and write about in this class.
4) What are some information systems that you use in your work or in your day to day life?
5) Describe some of the characteristics of the information systems you identified above.
6) Which of the information systems that you identified above would you like to choose for your topic for your Analysis Essays this semester? Be sure to keep checking back on the discussion board to see if I approve your topic.
Forum Rubric for Grading:
Rubric for Learner Posts .
Synthesis of concepts in 250 or more words (critical to class performance)
Applications of personal experience
Response to two or more students 150 words or More
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.