Tagged: forum posts
- 02/02/2019 at 2:00 am #1683Domyclass Help
SCIN 130 AMU week 6 forum Plants and People American Military University assistance is available on Domyclass
Please make sure to respond to the post with your original content as early in the week as possible to allow others to read and digest your material, but it is due by Wednesday at 11:55 pm EST. Make sure to give your original post a descriptive title so we all will quickly know your topic. Continue to follow your classmates’ posts for the remainder of the week and post at least 2 follow-up messages to your classmates’ posts. Pay attention to who communicates with you and respond back over the week’s discussion (create conversation!). Your follow up posts can add additional insight to your classmates’ opinions or can challenge their opinions – just make sure to do it respectfully.
Initial posts are due: Wednesday at 11:55 pm EST
Responses are due: Sunday at 11:55 pm EST, but the earlier the better
VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure to check out the grading rubric here.
Photosynthesis is arguably one of the most important processes on Earth – essentially all life depends on it. Humans and other animals depend on plants to capture the energy of the sun and use that energy to manufacture carbohydrates – subsequently releasing the oxygen that we breathe. But plants are vital to our lives in other ways as well. Think about the pencil you write with (or used to), the toothpick you used last night, the cotton T-shirt you wore today or the maple syrup you had on your pancakes this morning. These all came from plants! Ethnobotany is the study of the relationship between plants and people – plants used for practical, ceremonial, spiritual, medicinal, decorative, edible, etc. purposes.
To understand the importance of plants in our everyday lives – in ways other than just for oxygen.
For This Forum:
- You are to find a plant product that we use every day, and do not pick one that your classmates have already chosen.
- Make sure to include the product name in the title of your forum post so that others can quickly see what you have chosen.
- Do some research and address the following:
- From what plant does your product come? Include the common and scientific name (properly formatted).
- What is the product? What does it do? How do we extract it from the plant. Describe in detail.
- What is the primary use: medicinal, ceremonial, etc.?
- Are there commercial fields for the plant? Where?
- Are there any substitutes for your product? If there is no information, feel free to take an educated guess and support it.
- What is the most fascinating thing you learned about your product?
For More Information:
New York Botanical Garden: https://www.nybg.org/plant-research-and-conservation/explore/plants-and-people/
TEDX Video: https://youtu.be/st4K_RYw16E
- The forum ‘SCIN 130 AMU Introduction to biology American Military university’ is closed to new topics and replies.