Assistance for HIST 102 AMU Powerpoint Assignment 1 American History since 1877 American Military university is available at Domyclass
Warning: This is a disturbing topic and there will be disturbing images in the presentation. If you do not wish to participate in the main assignment please request a different non-lynching topic.
For this assignment, you will be assigned some aspect of the horrible racist practice of “lynching” that haunted the American landscape in the late 1800s through the first half of the 20th century. Your assigned topic will be based on the first few letters of your last name. You will then investigate that period for a specific topic; for example, you might be assigned “Spectacle lynchings”. Within that topic are several possible lynchings. You are to choose a lynching or lynchings and deliver information on it, in either a PowerPoint presentation or by writing a three-page paper on the lynching. You will be provided several links to material and you may use other links from the internet, understanding that your choices will be graded.
Historians typically use two types of materials, secondary source, and primary source documents. Secondary sources are typically books and articles written on a particular historical event, well after the fact. Primary source documents are usually generated by first-hand participants.
You need to select five (5) images that are relevant to your topic. The internet will also contain many photos and other depictions of lynchings. Just be sure that you cite it.
There are two ways that you can complete this assignment. Once you have collected your documents, you can create a PowerPoint, or use them as evidence for writing a 3-5 page essay. Naturally, you will need some other information, and you can gather that through the internet, or other books and articles. As a precaution, avoid using textbooks.
- PowerPoint Presentation: To complete the powerpoint you will need to collect your documents from the site. All documents must be cited, so be certain to note the citation at the bottom of each image.
- Must include a minimum of five slides of content, plus a cover slide and a Works Cited slide.
- The presentation must include a narrative that explains the historical significance. There are a few ways to do this, but Powerpoint does have a dialogue box that is available at the bottom of each slide. You can also do this in the slide itself. It is not sufficient to have five slides with an unrelated narrative. Instead, your slides should follow a well-organized argument that begins with a thesis statement on the first slide.
Project Assignment Rubric
- Paper Option:
- If you are writing a paper, it must be double-spaced (Times New Roman, font size 12), and include a cover page with your name, course number and course title, instructor’s name, and date. It should also include a separate Works Cited page.
- Your paper should include a thesis statement, and a narrative and conclusion that defends that argument.
- It should be at least three pages of content, not including a coversheet and a Works Cited page.
- Spelling and Grammar matter! Proofread your work.
- You must have a minimum of two sources.
- You must include five photos or other images at the end of your paper.
Paper Option Guidance:
Written Assignment Guidance
Written Paper Rubric
You are allowed to choose your own topic from the offered list as long as it pertains to the subject of the assigned historical period. If you have any questions on the subject matter, please contact your professor. This is your opportunity to look a little deeper at a subject that interests you.
All information must be cited. You are welcome to use APA, or MLA, but if you are a history major, you are strongly encouraged to use the Chicago Style format
Once completed, you should post a copy of your project in the Assignments section, as well as the forum reserved for that. The Project is due on Sunday by 11:55 PM, ET. You are also responsible for responding to the submissions of three of your classmates by the following Sunday at 11:55 PM, ET.
If your last name begins with the letters A – B your assigned lynching topic is “Spectacle lynchings”, be sure to present some information on the reason for lynchings.
Paris, Texas Lynching
Waco, Tx lynching
If your last name begins with C – G your assigned lynching topic is “Mixed blood lynchings”, (this involves the excuse for the lynching) be sure to present some information on the environment of the location.
If your last name begins with H – L… your assigned lynching topic is “Mass lynchings”, be sure to present some information on the environment of the location.
If your last name begins with M… – Z your assigned lynching topic is “The NAACP’s fight Against Lynching”.