Assistance for SCIN 137 AMU Research Presentation Introduction to Meteorology American Military university is available at Domyclass
SCIN 137 AMU Assignment 3: Research Presentation
Objective: Develop an audio-narrated PowerPoint presentation based on the research you have conducted about your chosen weather event. Assignment Instructions: Using the course project steps completed to date, you will develop your presentation based on the work you submitted for Assignments 1 and 2 as well as the feedback you were given.To prepare for this assignment, I recommend that you do the following:
- Read these directions carefully.
- [Review the grading rubric below. The grading rubric is a detailed evaluation that I will use to assess your performance. It also will help you understand what is expected of you as you prepare your assignment.]
- Message me with any questions!
- Your presentation will be submitted as an audio-narrated PowerPoint. For instructions on how to create audio narration in PowerPoint, see the following link: Record a Slide Show With Narration. Audio narration is a requirement!
- There must be a visual element (e.g., photos, videos, graphs, figures).
- Your presentation must contain approximately 10-15 slides (excluding references) and run approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Please note that less than 10% of your presentation should contain direct quotes.
- Proper use and pronunciation of scientific terminology are required. For help with pronunciation, see this link: Meriam-Webster Medical Dictionary
- Be sure to properly cite your work, both internal to the presentation as well as within the reference slide (this includes photos, graphs, figures, videos, etc.).
- All references listed on the reference slide should be cited internally within the presentation, and vice versa.
- You will submit this presentation to your classmates to review and discuss as a part of the Week Eight Forum.
The required elements: Your presentation should contain the following elements in the order listed below. In addition, I expect that any feedback provided to you from Assignment 1: Annotated Bibliography and Assignment 2: The Outline be incorporated into this assignment. Please go back and review those comments.
- Introduction Slide(s) – this section must contain the following:
- Student Introduction
- Topic selection and reason for selecting
- When weather event occurred
- Where weather event take place
- Who was impacted by weather event
- Why is weather event relevant and important
- Content Slides – this section must contain the following four main subtopics (the subsections below each subtopic are recommendations to use if appropriate to your disease/condition):
- Weather Journal
- Atmospheric conditions beginning at least two days prior to event (i.e. temperature, humidity, precipitation, etc.)
- Atmospheric conditions on day of event (discuss the meteorology of what happened, and the conditions experienced on the ground)
- Atmospheric conditions extending upwards to at least two days after the event.
- Factors instrumental in creating favorable conditions for this weather event (i.e., surface heating, upper level disturbances, frontal convergence, etc.)
- Societal Impacts
- Short-term impacts this weather event had on society (i.e. evacuations, power outages, property damage, injuries, loss of life, etc.)
- Long-term impacts this weather event had on society (i.e. economic losses, homelessness, mass relocations, etc.)
- Weather Readiness
- Plans to minimize, mitigate, or avoid future impacts from similar weather events (i.e. investing in weather radios or weather apps, evacuation plans, recovery centers, improving infrastructure, etc.)
- Weather Journal
- Conclusion Slide – this section must contain four to six points that sum up the main topics of the presentation.
- Reference Slide (and Internal Citations) – this section must contain the following:
- Internal citations – This is not just a separate section; rather, referencing should occur throughout the presentation via parenthetical citations anytime you paraphrase, make direct quotes, or use visual components from other sources. Please be sure to cite any language, images, videos, etc. in the presentation that should be cited.
- Reference Slide – Your paper should also have a final reference slide listing 5-10 credible sources researched for your presentation.
- Do not include your summary/evaluation from Assignment 1: Annotated Bibliography; simply list the references utilized in your presentation in APA format on the reference slide.
Additional Resources:Presentation Tips and GuidelinesAPA – In-Text Citations: The BasicsAPA – Reference List: Basic RulesEvaluation: Please review the Presentation Grading Rubric that describes how your presentation will be graded. Submission Instructions:
- You must submit your Presentation as a “PowerPoint” document AND title your file name as FirstnameLastname_SCIN137_Assg3.ppt. Otherwise, you will not receive credit for your assignment.
- Upload your assignment for grading by clicking on the “Add Attachment” button at the bottom of the page.
- The new screen will prompt you to click the “Browse” button so you can locate the PowerPoint document of your presentation on your computer.
- Find the file and double-click on it.
- Click “Continue“.
- Double check to ensure that your presentation was successfully uploaded as an attachment.
- When you have completed this assignment, type “Completed” in the rich text editor box below.
- Check the “Honor Pledge: I have neither given nor received aid on this assignment.” checkbox.
- Click the “Submit” button.